Last week the hubby and I visited Duke's at famous Waikiki Beach on Oahu. Nine times out of ten I order their Baja Fish Tacos (they are amazing and I highly recommend them). I'm always up for trying new restaurants and new dishes, but once I find something I love, I tend to stick with it. And Duke's fish tacos have been a mainstay of mine for a very long time.
However I pulled myself away from the delicious fish tacos and decided to venture out, trying two of their appetizers for dinner. I love appetizers and have been known to order a few of them in place of an entree at various restaurants. It's several little delights all in one and makes for a very fun meal.
First I ordered the Poke Rolls - Ahi and Maui onions, rolled in rice paper and sauteed. They were surprisingly wonderful! The warmth of the cooked rice paper with the cold ahi in the middle was a pleasant combination and the mustard sauce on the plate complimented the dish nicely. A definite winner!

The second appetizer was much larger than I expected and very filling - Crab and Macadamia Nut Wontons with creamcheese, served with a mustard plum sauce. A great dish, but definitely one to share. I'm also not a huge fan of fried foods and these were slightly heavier than what I had in mind, but still good.

Did I like the appetizers? Absolutely. Would I order them again? Of course. The next time I visit Duke's? Probably not. As much as I enjoyed my new meal choices, the fish tacos are calling me back. Old habits are hard to break. :)
6 comments:
I understand the pull of the fish tacos. I love them, but not many places make them well, so once you find a place it's hard to order anything else.
Those both look delicious, and while I'm not much of a fried food person either, that second one looks FABULOUS! I love wonton/rangoon things. :)
I have never even heard of a fish taco until now. I feel like I need to find one so I can try it now!
I didn't realise that Dukes really is Hawaiian. Bona fide! Everything looks delish...I'm craving fish tacos now. :)
Melanie - I heart fish tacos. They are so good! Duke's in LA does them with Mahi Mahi, and Duke's in HI does them with Ahi - both are amazing!
Colby - I wish there was a Duke's nearby so your first one could be amazing!
Alisha - I totally miss those college Taco Tuesdays!
You cannot do this to a poor Midwestern foodie. It's cruel, I tell you. Cruel.
Carrie - Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully the cruelty will turn into vicarious living!
Post a Comment